IS MY CHILD ON TRACK?
Ages and Stages Family Access Online! Complete a FREE developmental screening specifically for your child (ages birth-5 years old) Learn more about your child's development, and receive age-appropriate early learning activities geared to help your child develop school readiness skills! CLICK HERE to go to ASQ Screening
For general information about the signs of school readiness (Birth-5), click on the links below:
HOW CAN I HELP MY CHILD?
You are your child’s first teacher. Children thrive in nurturing environments that provide them with opportunities to learn through active play and social interaction. Regular every day activities can provide excellent opportunities to stimulate brain development and promote learning.
Past SBGR Parent Newsletter Articles about Early Learning :
- "Ready for School....Ready for Life!"
- "Dealing With Parenting Challenges"
- "Outdoor Learning"
- "Summertime is Play & Learn Time"
- "Great Books for Summer"
- "Getting Ready for the First Day of Preschool and Kindergarten"
- "Understanding Young Children and Their Behavior"
- Great ideas for teaching the ABCs
- "Great Books for School Readiness"
- "Best Toys for School Readiness"
- "Reading Readiness"
Choosing Quality Childcare
Research shows that the quality of child care children receive sets the stage for all future learning. Smart Beginnings Greater Roanoke is the local coordinator for the Virginia Star Quality Initiative (VSQI), a statewide effort to improve the quality of preschools and child care centers by providing each site with professional development training,·one-on-one mentoring, funding for quality enhancement, and a star rating. This rating serves as an indicator of the quality of care provided at each center– a valuable resource for parents seeking quality childcare.
WATCH WSLS TV Segment
Looking for a quality program? CLICK HERE to FIND A STAR RATED CENTER NEAR YOU
View other local news coverage about the Star Quality Initiative:
- WDBJ news segment "VA Star Quality Initiative Ensures Quality of Program"
- WSET ABC news segment "Star Quality Initiative Helps With Childcare Choice"
- WSLS Our·Blue Ridge· segment "Importance of Choosing Quality Childcare"
- FOX 21/27 News Segment "Daycare Dilema"
- The Roanoke Times "Rating day care facilities helps level the playing field"
For additional·tips from Childcare Link,·on finding quality childcare that is right for your child, download this brochure.
Smart Beginnings Greater Roanoke is proud to promote and support the following best practice models and evidence based parent education organizations and businesses in our region.
- Child Health Investment Partnership (CHIP)
- Children's Trust Roanoke Valley
- Blue Ridge Parenting LLC
- TAP Head Start Family and Health Services
Family Friendly Events
LOOKING FOR SOMETHING FUN TO DO WITH YOUR KIDS?
Macaroni Kid is a FREE online family and community resource that is now available in Roanoke! Sign up to receive weekly updates on child friendly activities and events in the Roanoke Valley. Each month Macaroni Kid Roanoke will be featuring an article about early learning in their newsletter, written by Smart Beginnings Greater Roanoke.